Sunday, April 21, 2013

Cutting Clay in Cricut Cake


I wanted to share with you my very first polymer clay project. If you follow me and have watched my shopping hauls you know I have been buying a lot of clay because Michaels had the sale of a life time last week and I could not pass it up even though I have never used it. well, I also have a Cricut Cake Machine that was still in the box after a year and a half I thought I was never going to use it to make a cake. I don't make cakes, and they get eaten so I thought I would use it for polymer clay instead and make something I can keep, or sell.


I made a peace key chain, now remember this was my first clay project so it is not perfect. It did cut out great on the Cricut Cake, I used Cricut Craft Room and Groovy Times cartridge. I mixed in glitter to the red clay and then to the pink clay for the flower, but that was not enough bling so I also sprinkled it on top of the flower, before placing on the other layers.


It was a lot of fun making these and I will make more with clay and my Cricut. I put an eye pin through the top before baking it in the oven and then I can make it in to key chains, charms, earrings, the possibilities are really endless. 

This one to the right was the first one I did, I'm not as happy with it as the second one. I rolled out the clay too thin on the first one and it made it harder to move and get off the mat.

I cut it out at 2" I think it is a good size for a key chain or necklace. I have the cut file here if you have the Groovy Times cartridge.

Polymer clay must be baked to harden, I baked in my toaster oven at 275 degrees as it says in the directions on the package of clay.




Just like most of my projects I added a video. There is also a tiny haul in the video showing some things I bought to make more things with clay.