Thursday, March 21, 2013

Southwest Tissue Box

    Hi Everyone!

This is my first post on the Cricut FANatics blog. I am also entering my project into the Cricut Southwest Contest at Cricut.com so you can also see this project in the Project Center at Cricut.com

Thank you so much for joining me! This project took me about 3 hours to create in Cricut Craft Room. I have the cut file here for you to download if you like. You do need to own the Southwest Cricut cartridge to make this, I think it goes on sale today.

To make the Tissue box cover you can download the cut file and just make the box using the free cartridge in CCR. With this box I did use the Southwest cartridge to create the opening at the top of the box. If you would like to just create the box with out the Southwest cartridge I have another cut file here that is free and no cart is needed.

You can also create a tissue box cover with out a cricut. Here are the measurements of pieces. 

You need two 5 1/8"x9 1/2" then score at 1/2" and 5" for the lid you need one 6 9/16"x6 9/16" square and score at 1" on every side. Cut 1" up on the score line on the right til you touch the other score line, turn and do to every side.

Now you have the base of the box and can use your imagination to create what you want.

The first layer of the boxes are 4'x4 1/4" four pieces of that and then four pieces of 4 1/4"x 3/4" for the layer on the sides of the lid. One piece cut at 4 1/4"x4 1/4" for the top if lid, but you will need to cut a hole in the middle of the lid and layer of lid. I did all this for you in the cut files above in Cricut Craft Room.
Here is how the layers are placed. As you can see I made one layer say Get Well to give this as a Get Well gift instead of a card with a box of tissue.

I cut out the Southwest designs I wanted and adhered to the side of box before I put box together. I put the designs together in the 1st video below.

Next step is to put adhesive on the 1/2" tab you see on the left of both pieces and adhere pieces together to create a box. I show more details of this in the Southwest Tissue Box Part 2 video below.

I then cut out the images of lizards and Kokopelli  and wolf howling at moon and placed them on the box when the box is done. I have many pictures below and 2 videos.









 This video shows me putting together the Southwest designs.
 This video is part 2 and shows putting the box together and everything on the box.