Thursday, March 22, 2012

Cricut Newsletter

Here is the New Cricut Newsletter, Cricut Chirp. They highlighted my project in the message board highlights, Butterflies on Painting. This is the second time I have had something in the newsletter, the first one is my ribbon holder I made and I posted that at the bottom of this weeks newsletter.

March 20th, 2012 · Vol. 362
Header

SPRING BLOSSOMS

Springtime, in my neck of the woods, is full of little green budding plants, blossoming trees, baby animals, and spring showers. I have already purchased seeds for my garden and flowerbeds and am ready to sow them this weekend. Waiting for the seeds to germinate will require a bit more patience on my part because I’ve been eagerly waiting for spring since Groundhog’s Day. Fortunately, it won’t be long until the perennial flowers appear. While I wait for tulips and daffodils to bud, my crafting pals and I will whip up some beautiful paper blossoms indoors that will be worthy of the season!
Be sure to check out Crafty Kimber's excellent cartridge exploration of the Easter-themed Cricut Craft Room™ Exclusives in today’s Chirp. You’ll also find helpful crafting tips and glean great crafting ideas from the Cricut® message board members in this week’s newsletter.
As always, I wish you success in your crafting adventures!
Lonna Joy Smoot
Editor, Cricut ® CHIRP!

TIPS TREASURE CHEST

Iron-On Vinyl

Today's tip is from message Bug Guide Scrapalette.
Q: Is there a special vinyl for ironing on clothing? I have actually been wondering about this. I wanted to make a cute onesie for my son when he wasborn but wasn’t sure if there was an iron-on vinyl that my Cricut® machine could cut. I was just going to do it on the computer and use transfer paper, but that can get messed up so easily.
A: Heat transfer vinyl is ironed on clothing after it's cut. The directions on the package will tell you whether or not you should reverse the design before cutting, but generally, if your backing goes on the mat, you don't reverse the design. You would cut the design, peel off the backing, and place the design where you want it on your clothing. Then put a pressing cloth over the design and iron it.

CUSTOMER SPOTLIGHT

Name: Jessica Kephart
About Me: I have always been interested in crafting and have dabbled in almost every type of craft imaginable: candles, jewelry, bath fizzies, hair accessories, one-stroke painting, sewing, scrapbooking, card making, painting, and more. I began with cross-stitching at the age of seven and haven't stopped since. I thoroughly enjoy giving a handmade gift, and I've caught the Cricut® machine bug along with many other paper crafters. In fact, I had never done any type of paper crafting until after I purchased my Cricut® machine. It hasn't even been a year, and because of my machine, people think I am a pro! The designers have to do all of the work on the cartridges, and I get to enjoy all of the credit.
Instructions: The frame was purchased from a craft store on clearance for $1.29.
  • Remove the glass from the frame. Cover the frame with decorative paper.
  • Ink the edges of the frame with a sponge dauber and walnut stain distress ink. Be sure to ink the photo window.
  • Use the Cricut Imagine® Lori's Garden cartridge to cut the 7.5" butterfly and floral stem on page 24 of the handbook. Cut additional butterfly and flower layers. Trim butterfly off floral stem and save for later.
  • Cut the leaves layer from page 27 at 7.5". Adhere these leaves to the pink leaves in the main image.
  • Cut the 2.75" Love You tag from page 22 with layers. Ink the edges. 
  • Embellish the pieces with ice stickles and pearl adhesives.
  • While the images dry, adhere ribbon to the frame. Adhere the floral stem to the frame using pop dots.
  • Adhere the Love You tag over the floral stem to cover the hand-cut end.
  • Score the top butterfly layer so the wings will bend upward. Layer the butterfly together and adhere to frame as shown.
  • Embellish floral stem and tag with pearl stems.
  • Embellish bottom left of frame with extra flower layers.
Thank you so much for checking out my project!
Cartridge Used: Lori's Garden

MESSAGE BOARD HIGHLIGHTS

This week's highlighted threads are:

CARTRIDGE EXPLORATION

This last week has been really hard to craft. I feel like I have crafter’s block—is that possible? The weather has been so nice and all I have wanted to do was lay outside on the grass and do nothing. I finally dragged myself indoors to play with my Cricut® machine and explore the new Cricut Craft Room™ Exclusives for Easter. There are quite a few digital image sets to play with: Easter Magic, Easter Blessings, and Happy Easter.
The Easter Blessings digital images have a religious theme. You can cut a crown of thorns, a dove, palm leaves, lilies, and a few phrases including Easter Blessings and He is Risen. Each of the designs comes with layers and a shadow for you to help your image pop.
The Easter Magic digital images include bunnies, a chick, three different eggs, and the phrase Easter in block lettering. This set also comes with layers and a shadow so each image can stand out. I used this set to make a tri-fold card. I welded three eggs together and cut out the layers for the first and second page. (My Cricut Craft Room™ file is here.) I wrote my Easter message on the back page. Any of these images from this set would make great banners. You could tie chicks together with tulle to create an adorable Easter banner or combine the bunnies and the chicks for a little girl’s birthday banner.
The Happy Easter digital images include eggs, tulips, a lamb, an Easter label, a chick, and a bunny. The bunny, lamb, or chick would make cute birthday party d├ęcor, party invitations, or Easter cards. As a family, you could cut out the different layers and let everyone glue the cards together. This would be a great way to spend time together or a fun craft for a party. You could play hide and seek with the Easter eggs by cutting out a bunch of paper eggs and then hiding them around the house. Add some cute notes, fun prizes, or maybe a chore or two to the back of the eggs. You could also use the eggs to make an advent calendar. Cut the word Easter for the top of a corkboard and pin the eggs beneath it. Make sure to write something on the back of each egg and put numbers on the front. This way as your family turns over an egg each day there is something fun to do: get ice cream cones, spend an hour reading a book, grab a cookie from the cookie jar, etc.
Wow, now I have a ton of projects to make for Easter and my crafting block is gone! I can’t wait to get started on my own personal projects. Don’t forgot to check out the Teresa Collins - Bunnies and Chicks digital images and Teresa Collins - Easter Basket digital images for some great eggs, a paper basket, bunnies, bows, a cupcake wrapper, and Easter phrases. These adorable Easter designs are perfect for holiday cards and projects. Happy Crafting!
Crafty Kimber

HELP FROM THE EXPERTS

Need some help? Provo Craft ® Customer Support is here for you! Never hesitate to call in (1-888-922-4725 or 1-888-92ccircle for Cricut Circle™ questions); we have people ready to help you! We are currently open Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Mountain Time. If these hours do not work with your schedule, please send an email to support@provocraft.com .
Have a great week!
Customer Support

QUOTE OF THE WEEK

“Gratitude is the fairest blossom which springs from the soul.”
—Henry Ward Beecher



Here is part of the chirp from Nov 8th 2011 I was also in the Cricut Chirp.


TIPS TREASURE CHEST

Today’s great idea comes from message board member MelodyLane. Thanks for sharing!
“I was cleaning up and decided I needed a new ribbon holder. A light bulb came on above my head, and this is what I made. I have the cut file you can download on my blog so you can make your own.”